Monday, March 19, 2007

Hello e-world!

So, for those of you who don't know me, here's a my life in a nutshell:

As you can probably tell from the title of my blog, I'm both (semi) buddhist and a saxophone player, and now ... a science student? Who would've guessed, but I must take you back further than this ...


I grew up in a small town called Rossland, in the interior of British Columbia, Canada. A sleepy, but unique village with a ski hill within the city limits. I cross country ski, mountain bike and like (according to my girlfriend) horrible fleece vests. My immediate family is beautiful and I love them dearly, they have always been a great pride for me.

After high school, I had the good luck of being able to spend a year in Thailand on Rotary exchange. Among other things, I learned to speak and read Thai, and spent two months in a Buddhist monastery .... A truly life changing experience. People on the other side of our small planet see the world very differently, and I have the pleasure to have seen another beautiful face of humanity ... I often wonder what the world would be like if we all had the opportunity to immerse ourselves in another culture. There were times when I was shocked to discover that I was white!

Re-immersion was difficult. I spent the first couple of years of music college trying to decide if I wanted to be Asian or North America. I think perhaps I've found a happy medium now.

So, yes, I studied music at Humber College in Toronto. Studied with some great musicians, and made some of the best friends of my life! So much of my heart is still in Toronto. I never would have admitted it at first. I hope to return soon.

After receiving a degree in music, I worked in Toronto for a year and a bit, and when times got hard, when beans became the meal of the week, I worked as a musician on the cruise ships for a year. I saw a lot on the ships. As much as I found the corporate atmosphere offensive, I was able to visit Alaska, the Caribbean, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Barcelona, France, Morocco, Gibraltar, Croatia and Greece. I love Europe, another place to which my heart yearns, and to which I must return.

And now, I am in Edmonton. Although I play the occasional gig, mostly blues now, I am a science student. The first semester was hard, such a 180 from my previous life, but now I'm settling into the groove of academics. I hope to apply to Medical School in a year.

And that, is my story for now ... Alas, I must return to my books, but more soon ...

3 comments:

Nietzsche's Girl said...

And somewhere in there you became smart, insightful, gentle, compassionate, kind, caring, loving, and DROP DEAD GORGEOUS.

(just thought I'd mention the parts you forgot)

Kate Nova said...

I concur with undercover-nerd. Sounds like she's got you down pat!

Unknown said...

Your story was cool, you spend your time on what you enjoy, that is importand to your life... I hope I will be able to read more about you soon...