Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Volunteering

Volunteering ...

I've been volunteering at the UofA Hospital these past few months in the CT (Computerized Tomography) department. A CT machine is sortof like an x-ray machine that spins and allows you to see things three dimensionally. It was interesting at first, but it's starting to become sort of boring. The department went filmless about a month ago, and so I no longer sort films, but just stand around and ask the odd question, maybe bring a patient to the back of the department.

So I've been thinking about other volunteer possibilities. I might try to get into the Emergency department, which could be exciting, and I would have the opportunity to interact a little more with the doctors.

I'm also thinking of other volunteer possibilities. I've been a member of the council of canadians for a couple of years. They're a political 'watch dog' ngo that has done some great work on trade issues, water rights and so on. I was thinking I might start up my own chapter at the University. My only problem with what I've seen so far, is that there is so much rhetoric, and less engaged action, or disciplined research. (www.canadians. org)

I was also thinking about oxfam. They're a british ngo, one of whose major projects is the end of world poverty ... yes, very cool. And they offer some pretty interesting volunteer positions ... research, education, fund-raising. It could be fun! (www.oxfam.ca)

Oh, and another cool organization for those who love to garden, like myself (we finally have a garden this spring!):

www. seeds.ca

This is the seeds of diversity organization. They distribute and maintain seeds that help keep the diversity that the corporate agricultural industries seem to have less interest in. Pretty cool!

No comments: