Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Irrational Science?

so I asked a question after my evolutionary biology lecture today:

"I was just wondering if you had a background in the Arts?"

"No, why"

"You just seem different than a lot of other scientists I have met, a little less purely rational."

"Are you saying I'm irrational?" (chuckles)

"No, just maybe more intuitive."

"Well, I try to teach these courses from your perspective as first year students. I think a lot of professors miss that, being caught up in advanced research, and just dole out definitions and formulas. I've done some advanced research, and it involves much more than a pure ability to memorize. A lot of students think that if they can memorize well, they can be scientists. That's not the case. Perhaps you could be a good technologist, but research involves many different qualities. I try to show that while teaching, I'm not just telling goofy stories for no reason, I try to bring life to the scientific process, which is actually very creative and involves more than just linear reasoning."

Now I want to be a scientist ...

2 comments:

Nietzsche's Girl said...

You should! You would make a wonderful scientist! You have that perfect blend of science, arts, and intuition that makes you able to do almost anything you dream of!

Kate Nova said...

I think that's really inspiring. Science aside, your teacher makes me want to be a TEACHER.