Saturday, April 7, 2007

New Easter

Tomorrow is Easter Sunday.

It's funny that, although I am not christian, I still feel an affinity for this holiday, like I do for Christmas, Thanksgiving. Our culture is so undeniably Christian based and yet many of us do not participate or rarely participate in the religion itself.

So this is what I propose: it's time for a new tradition. Like when the christians invaded "pagan" countries, and used their holidays to enunciate christian themes, it's time for us to use christian holidays to encorporate our own beliefs.

Originally, Easter was all about the rising of christ. A figure who sacrificed himself for the good of all people. A man or god or both who died and then rose again. Wikipedia defines easter sunday as:

"the Sunday of the Resurrection, Pascha, or Resurrection Day, is the most important religious feast of the Christian liturgical year, observed at some point between late March and late April each year (early April to early May in Eastern Christianity). It celebrates the resurrection of Jesus, which his followers believe occurred on the third day after his death by crucifixion some time in the period AD 27 to 33"


This is what I propose:

Instead of allowing Easter Sunday to sink into the new religion of the free market, a time of candy eggs and consumerism, let us make this holiday more meaningful.

Tomorrow, I will launch a boat on the North Saskatchewan River. It will be a new beginning. We are reborn every second anyways, it can't be that hard. I will use this time to think about ways in which I can devote myself to peace and love in the world. Small ways, for these are the most important. Reduce my opinionist, one-sided view of things. Forgive those that hurt me deeply or otherwise. Work towards cooperation between all people, listening between all people, even if I strongly disagree.

Peace, of course, begins with the individual. We cannot expect peace in the world if we cannot keep it within our community.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. I love the way you think. I love the way your mind works; your soul works.

I will float a boat with you.

A new beginning.

Anonymous said...

what a bullshit idea...have fun getting trapped in the ice

Bodhisaxva said...

That's a pretty strong response, anonymous ... why so strong?

Anonymous said...

because there is a much better way to symbolize your new beginning. Get a big helium filled balloon and send it off into the sky, symbolizing your spirit transcending to the next dimension

Bodhisaxva said...

I guess I'm just not a big fan of symbols involving a detachment from the world. I feel that we must work through the world while transcending it and that neither is truly possible. Sometimes the grit of life is what ironically seems to engender the most understanding. I also like the boat as I intend it to be biodegradable. I suppose you're right, though. From a religious perspective, it is not particularly apt, unless we consider all rivers leading to the sea. I haven't had much luck with religions though, so I just sort of muddle my way through ... I suppose I consider myself a secular buddhist, if such a thing exists.

Anonymous said...

I myself don't believe in the 'all roads lead to Rome' type of religion. I know many people do but half the time I think they are just afraid to investigate one particular 'road'.

That's what I think anyway :)

tragic comedy said...

I think that is a great idea Ryan. We should try to incorperate traditions into our lives that mean something to us. whe easter story has a beautiful message that gives hope to millions of christians. just because its christian doesn't mean it should be dismissed. like all good tools used in developing oneself you just need to find a way to use it to make you loving and peaceful. a boat is a great idea. ( though I like chocolate eggs too ;))

Joel said...

I celebrated the true easter by attending a Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny, Larry Grenadier and Jeff Ballard concert. They are the true messiahs. Jazz messiahs.