Thursday, June 7, 2007

Esso, Fences and Dump Trucks

I had a small accident the other day ... I had a spray truck parked in a gate opening for an Esso site we were spraying. When we drove out, the gate had blown against the truck and we wrenched the lower half of it off of the fence. It was not a big accident ... we only moved about a foot before I realized what was happening, but the corporate consequences, oh my!

Pee in a cup, sir! Cocaine? no .... Opium? no ... Marijuana? no... Amphetamines?...

Now let's have a two hour safety meeting ... 'come over here young man and sign this incident form ...'

Oh dear ... and then I told my boss I wasn't into spraying all summer despite the raise:

"Ok, well would you drive a spray tractor with a special filter system?"

"I'll think about it and get back to you" While I'm looking for other jobs!

I think I'll quit ... every day there is a surprise. Today, a second plastic fitting on the bottom of our spray tanks broke and I was left dumping roundup and buctril onto the road and into the sewer system. The emergency break is so weak on the truck that on almost any slope someone has to sit holding the break. And it's not the only truck that is like that!!! They fail to abide by many safety regulations ... I think it's time to go. My previous boss on landscaping will probably also be leaving. Probably two of their better employees. It's funny that many employers do not think a little harder and think that spending a few extra dollars in safety and appropriate wages (many people are payed $10/hour at the shop!!!) wouldn't go a long way.

Oh well, I've applied to four jobs and have had two replies already.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm confident you'll find something! You are so skilled and a really hardworking, mature worker. Any employer would die to have someone like you! And two calls already? I'm sure there will be more.

You will find something, my love