Sunday, June 24, 2007

News!

Ok, I can't hold out any longer! Since my parents read my blog, I have been trying to hold out until I have a chance to talk to them both, but I cannot hold on any longer.

Ali and I are now engaged! We plan to get married next summer in July (July 19). It will be an unconventional wedding ... more a party, a celebration of life, rather than a stone engraving of tradition and dreams, hopes too large to fulfill. It is very good. I have never loved a woman so much or felt so close in heart. Her compassion alone makes me happy enough to marry her. Still trying to figure out whether I should call her my fiance, wife, partner, spouse. So many of those words are worn, darkened. We will figure it out. Instead of getting me an engagement ring of some sort, she bought me a cat ... a new kitten. We actually still have only three cats, since one of them ran away during a thunderstorm while I was going to work ... it's sad, perhaps we will find her some day. We are thinking of having a BBQ with live plants on the tables instead of flowers. Some small ceremony for the actual wedding, speeches only if volunteered (and therefore heartfelt) and a big party that night.

This is a woman that I can share everything with. Someone with whom there is understanding: she looks beyond my words into my meanings, with whom I can walk with pride. My beautiful Ali-kat. Soon to be my ____.

4 comments:

Kate Nova said...

Ahhhhhhhh! That is so exciting! Super-heartfelt congrats to both of you! I don't know Ali yet, but she must be amazing. I'm beaming up here on Baffin Island, and I will spend a few minutes in quiet celebration for you both. Heck, screw the quiet. I think I'm going to turn on some Toots and the Maytals and dance around on my balcony under the ever-present sun. Woohoo!

Joel said...

Ryan! That's so good. I'm really glad I got the chance to hang with Ali. She's a quality girl and I'm really happy for both of you. My deepest congratulations and best wishes to you both.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations (and long time no see!) Ryan! I am thrilled for you. Joel's site led me to your blog and I'm enjoying the idea of catching up with you in your new life. I wish you two all the best. I'll keep checking in from time to time!
Ashley

Anonymous said...

mmm I know how you feel so lovely to find that special someone...we would also like to have a union as you plan, simple, unconventional, not so much a wedding as a celebration...just to get everyone together. You guys can come for sure. I know the issue of what to call eachother...we have discussed it alot, neither of us like fiance, husband/wife, partner, or spouse...so we just stick with boyfriend and girlfriend for now, or we will just introduce eachother by name and let people figure it out. ;)