Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Weeks' News

It's been a long week ... a fair few new happenings

On Tuesday I had a meeting with the prarie organizer/ex-chair of the Edmonton chapter of the Council of Canadians. I will be starting up a UofA chapter this fall, provided there is enough interest. So, I've been looking into the club fair this fall and thinking of ideas for action. I think students could be a great asset to an activist organization. The CoC does not yet have a student chapter and not a lot of students otherwise. I think we could be an invaluable source of research/critical thinking that is not always present. I was reading a book of essays on NAFTA written by another Canadian activist group called the CCPA (Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives). It was awful. The citations were laughable - newspapers, other activist's books: rarely a primary source and even then, not used to support the main arguments. Extremely shotty work. I am excited to get started this fall!

Also, Ali-kat is now managing for a store on Whyte called Polly Magoo's. I am hired now to do a website for them. I will probably start with something extremely basic, but it will be a great way for me to practice! It's a great gig for her because it involves travelling to Asia to work on inventory ... it's a really cool shop.

We also had a couple of Germans staying with us for about a week. They walked into the cafe and asked whether we knew anyone who was involved in 'couchsurfing'. www.couchsurfing.com And we said they could stay on our couch if they needed to. It was a lot of fun. They are very nice people, and we had some good conversations and food and coffee. I hope to see them again.

New thoughts on the marriage next summer too! We think we might have it near the Rocky Mountains somewhere so that it is beautiful and easier for my family to get to (and so that Ali will bring only who is important for her to bring ... her parents want the guest list to include some 150 people on her side of the family) and then we will have a reception in edmonton.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.