Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Epic

These last few days have been momentous!

Saturday, we had a party and my brother (who lives in Fort St. John) came down to see me which was really nice: I haven't seen him in ages!

We had a barbecue, and a fire and had some friends over, it was great.
That night we had one odd encounter and one act of anarchism. We realized early on that we didn't have enough wood for the fire. After searching the block, we decided to steal from corporate america by removing the palates being used as blockades for the drive-in at dirty bird (aka KFC) it was beautiful!

We were also digging gardens. The back garden went really well, and the dirt looks amazing, I can't wait to plant!!
We dug out oval-shaped gardens in the front for flowers, and were asked by a pair of inebriated adolescents whether we were digging a grave. We told them that, yes, we were, and that our cat had recently died, may he rest in peace. They told us they were very sorry for our loss, so we took two pieces of the broken dirty-bird palate and some candles and prayed in front of the flower garden. It was great. Certain unnamed members of our party then sang the american anthem in front of the "grave" ... may they now rest in peace ...
I also started working as a landscaper this Monday ... what a hard shift, from brainwork all day to body work all day ... I feel exhausted. On my first day, the hiring agency couldn't find my resume, or the wage we had agreed on, and I was told on the spot that I had to travel South, outside of the city limits (probably 20 km away). "Oh, you don't have wheels?" They asked, which had not been (like many things, I was to find out) discussed over the phone when I was hired. Thankfully my brother was in town, and was able to drive me there on my first day. It was a disorganized morning, one in which I wasn't really sure that I would get a ride back home or whether I would be able to commute with anyone to and from work until my brother had left. It's all good now, and I'll be making $15/hr and working about 10 hour days for the next four months. I was told today, that I might end up being a crew chief as I seem "responsible", life is good!

Ali still loves her job at the library too ... life is good!

2 comments:

Nietzsche's Girl said...

Life IS good, except that that is a TERRIBLE photo of me!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the job!

SD