Thursday, May 24, 2007

Whitecourt

We're in Whitecourt at the Green Gables in after spending our first day spraying for Esso out in the boonies near Judy Creek.

It was a bit of an eventful day. I caught an edge on a dirt road and nearly flipped the spray truck ... luckily my reflexes were in good shape. While mud was flying everywhere (I was half on and half off of the road), I was able to keep relatively flat and steer myself back on to the road. We saw a few deer and were also stopped by the DOT for missing a truck check. He then noticed all the other problems with our truck, such as not having original registration and insurance with us (only copies) and not having our weight and company name listed on the truck, having amber brake lights etc. Needless to say, Delta valley is not known for its attention to detail.

Although most of the spots we are spraying are small, the one we are at now is quite large ... probably 3 football fields in size. We are spraying it all with high powered spray guns attached to water tanks on our spray truck. The hardest part, funny enough, is keeping oneself in a straight line. The problem of perspective makes it quite difficult: I've found that I've had to try to pick a single, distant, point and keep myself straight with that. While using rocks as markers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bodhisaxva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Nova said...

I had visions of Agent Orange casualties in New Brunswick running through my mind at these posts.